How do I upload files with FTP?
A Basic Overview of FTP and Connecting to your server.
FTP is an acronym for File Transfer Protocol and is used to transfer files between 2 connected computers. You can use FTP to exchange files between computer accounts, transfer files between an account and a desktop computer, or access online software archives. Keep in mind, however, that many FTP sites are heavily used and require several attempts before connecting.
The easiest method for uploading files to your website is to use an FTP Client.
A FTP client. A popular (and free) FTP client is called FileZilla.
1. Download FileZilla: http://filezilla-project.org/download.php?type=client (available for both Windows & Mac)
2. Install FileZilla.
3. Run FileZilla.
4. In the “Host” field, enter your domain name or ftp detail, available in hosting package. i.e. ftp.domainname.com
Protocol: Set this to FTP – File Transfer Protocol
Encryption: Only use plain FTP
For Logon Type: Select Normal
5. In the “Username” field, enter your FTP username.
6. In the “Password” field enter your FTP password.
7. Leave port set at default or “21” or leave it blank this is the default.
Leave everything else to their default values.
8. Click “Connect”
The LEFT side shows the files on your own computer.
The RIGHT side shows the file on your server.
Double-click the “public_html/” folder on the RIGHT hand side. This is the “root” of your website. You need to find the files you want to upload on the LEFT side of the screen and drag them to the RIGHT side. This will upload the files to your website.
You can also use the File Manager that comes with cPanel, you can view a video tutorial on using File Manager at http://www.cpanel.net/media/tutorials/filemanager.htm.