Translate Your WordPress Website
Learn How to Translate Your WordPress Website
Translation files are available to lets you translate your theme/website into different languages. The translation files are default.mo and default.po and are located in the languages folder inside your theme package. To translate the theme into your language, follow the steps below
- Edit the .po file using the POEdit plugin (you can also try WPML plugin or the qTranslate for straight translations)
- Use the translation field to make your required replacements
- From the file menu, save file with your language name, i.e. es_ES.po
- This It will generate both a .po and .mo file for your translation in Spanish.
- Next edit wp-config.php located in the root folder of your WordPress installation and define the WPLANG prefix with your language name which should be similar to the translation file name es_ES.
- Then go to your server via FTP, navigate to the theme folder and find the languages folder, its located at wp-content > themes > languages >_ _.mo and _ _.po
- Upload the language files in the languages folder, and then you’re done!
If you want my opinion qTranslate is a better choice with no messing with files – just select your options and countries and drag the widget to where suits you.